What is SAP Livecache?
SAP Livecache is a database that resides in the memory which is simply used to speed up material planning scenarios in the SAP livecache supply chain management (SCM). It was developed to help in the management of complex objects in the applications in which quite big quantities of data have to be constantly available as well as changeable. In general, you can only make use of livecache technology with the SAP applications.
It extensively increase the speed of algorithmically complex data as well as runtime-intensive functions of different SAP applications, particularly within the SAP Livecache supply chain management. This software usually combines the merits of the most important memory-based data maintenance with the complete operating concept which includes backup and also recovery.
Which are the properties of a SAP application that has SAP Livecache technology?
- Multiple application servers share the red or white cache.
- With the optimal configuration, all the application data and also objects are usually located in working memory.
- Relational as well as object-oriented data modeling.
- All the database functions are always available.
- Data –intensive business logic is usually executed close to application data which tends to minimize round trips.
In addition to SAPMaxDB database kernel that provides the basic database functions like saving, transaction management, and restoring, a livecache database still comprises of these software layers:
- The object management system.
A big section of application data in a livecache database is normally managed in various objects (OMS data). The OMS data is usually managed in containers which are assigned to the constant C++ category of the object kind as the object memory.
- Livecache Applications (LCApps)
Business logic is normally included in the livecache kernel by simply using the DB procedures. This usually removes most of the work which would be required for communication as well as the transfer of the data.
With this technology, you can actually complete resource-intensive material planning activities, like demand planning (DP), being a forecast up to the on demand available to the promise ATP scenarios. The distinctive sizes of memory cache for the large implementations of SAP livecache are usually 50-250 GB. Its hot standby solution prevents you from these outages;
- Rollback of the open transactions and then a resynchronization at the application level.
- Rebuild of huge memory structure.
- Manual corrections for the miss matches may take several days to resolve.
- Resynchronization time always increases with the size of the data of the SCM system.
Livecache technology provides the application with a concept of the consistent views in order to isolate the data of a particular application from the simultaneous updates by the other users. The COM routines are usually implemented in the livecache as a stored procedure.
You can therefore use the SAPcache technology to simply represent the data structures and also data flows like the networks and relationships quite easily and more effectively. In contrast to the MaxDB, that has an optimal configured livecache database instance, all the data that must be accessible to database system is usually located in the main memory. The bottom line is that SAP Livecache increases the speed of SAP applications which is extremely beneficial.