One of the primary concerns in any standard SAP transaction is how to create a variant in SAP. Transaction variants are generally created to simplify the usage of a transaction by personalizing some features to correspond to specific business needs.
SAP Variants, are defined selection criteria for a particular SAP transaction. Such variant is important for any SAP system in order to reduce data entry time and to help speed up the report process. Variants also help ensure the accuracy of the data entry process. Variants can be used to hide menu functions, screens, and fields and at the same time, supply them with individual default values or to make changes in the ready for input status of a given field.
Importance of SAP Variants
Generally, the standard SAP transaction comes with default settings. Settings, is a generic term to describe such features as Mandatory Fields, Selection Options, Optional Fields, and many more. Creating variants to such settings becomes necessary in order to provide users easy access to Administrator defined and modified views of a particular code. It also helps cut down the scope of customizing SAP default programs.
If you want to hide some unwanted screens and fields in a standard SAP program, without necessarily changing the program, creating transaction variants, is the best alternative. The transaction variant will also alter the layout of the screen to make it more responsive to your needs.
Here is a systematic guide on how to create a variant in SAP for a standard transaction:
1. Initially, to create a transaction variant against the original transaction, you must execute transaction SHDO.
2. The original transaction screen will appear, as soon as you press the create button. After pressing the button or tab on the screen, you will notice that a menu variant will appear.
3. Check all fields, tabs or buttons that you want to disappear from the menu functions. Press the save and exit button when you have completed the required variants on a subset screen, if present.
4. As you press the save and exit button, you will be directed to another menu variant. Press the save button and save it under any development class or as a local object.
5. Once you are back on the transaction variant or SHDO screen, click the Go To Menu or press Shift+F6 and thereafter, press the create variant transaction button. This particular action is how to create a variant in SAP transaction SE93.
6. Enter the name of the transaction variant or any other required field that you want to create. Finally, press the save button.
7. Execute the transaction you have just created through the create transaction variant. You may now enjoy the results of the SAP variants you created.
SAP for business often calls for specific features that will correspond to a particular business transaction. In some instances, there is a need to customize a particular business transaction by hiding information that is no longer relevant, and to display only important information.
Following this guide on how to create a variant in SAP, you can create a customization that you need for your SAP transactions, without the need to fully modify the program.