For you to create a GL account in SAP, you need to change the fundamental settings. First, you will need to verify whether you have configured all the necessary settings such as the company, document types, business area, account groups, variants, chart of accounts, company code, fiscal year variant, posting period, retained earnings account and number ranges, field status variant, tolerance groups and global parameters. Once you are sure that you have completed all these basic settings, and then go to T. Code: FS00 from the easy access screen and from there you can create GL Master at chart of accounts level, company code level.
The method described above is meant to be followed by experienced and adept SAP users. For beginners, below is a well-described step-to-step instruction to follow when creating special GL accounts in SAP.
A simple way of creating a special GL account in sap is using an existing template as a reference. You may be able to create the account by utilizing a GL master record as a point of reference. This is done by copying the GL master records from this reference company code and make necessary alterations in your intended company code before making the master records. When altering the duplicated GL account master records, you can very simply edit the account numbers and names. To make more alterations to the GL account master records, you can use the utilities ready for an altogether and individual processing. The following choices are available for you:
• The GL accounts that have been duplicated are shown in a table. You can set a maximum number of accounts to be duplicated by defining a number range.
• You can edit the account number and name and save the alterations made in the table without having to save the GL accounts.
• The GL accounts are saved only when clearly save them.
• You can generate GL accounts.
• You can go through and check to confirm that the table contains accounts that do not have a name or with duplicated account numbers.
• You may also use the determination of account of the accounts copied.
• However, you will not be able to copy the reference account assignment to the financial statement versions. To examine or create the assignment, click on environment then edit financial statement version.
• You may also come across the utility for creating GL account in relation to Financial engineering Customization under general ledger accounting> GL account>master data>GL account creation>Create GL accounts with reference.
Creating a GL Account as an Individual
One may also create GL accounts individually. First, you select the function you desire. Form the menu, go to accounting, then to financial accounting, and proceed to general ledger accounting then master records then individual processing.
In customizing, go to Financial Accounting. Proceed to General Ledger Accounting then to GL Accounts then Mater Data. Select GL Account Creation and finally Change GL accounts individually. Input the account number, enter the either the company code or the chart of accounts and then press the Enter key. Other than that, the master record of the account edited beforehand will continue to be displayed. Select an editing utility, edit the master record in the numerous tab pages and then save your entries.
If you follow the above-discussed tips carefully, you will be able to create a GL account in sap of your own without any problem.